Move Auto-Play down to song level

Have you tried this?

Thanks for trying, but no that doesn’t help.
I guess I’m not explaining the issue very well.

1. I absolutely don’t spend the time to set up multiple songs in a single file in Ableton Live. That’s just a really bad idea. Way too time consuming and redundant. Without AbleSet, running in Multi-File mode, I wouldn’t have ever bought Ableton Live.
  2. It’s not helpful enough to set the auto-play attribute only at the END of the song. Example: If you’re a guitar player, and the set is 15 songs. Depending on the order of the songs, you may need to change guitars or put on a capo for song #6. So, in the set, you need to stop before AND after song #6.
    Then, in another set, that song that was #6 in the previous set, might be before or after another song that uses the same guitar or capo, so you could auto-play the two of them. Does this make sense?
    Doesn’t make sense that it would be best to have the auto-play attribute in the SET (at each song) and not the SONG FILE ITSELF?

Hey @Maverick,

The SONG END locator doesn’t define AbleSet’s autoplay behavior, it just tells AbleSet where the song ends. Whether playback should stop or the next song should be played immediately is stored as part of the setlist – you’ll see it in the exported JSON file as well. This is different from the STOP locator, which also defines the end of a song but always makes AbleSet stop playback when the playhead reaches it.

The behavior at the end of each song can be controlled using the stop toggle in AbleSet’s setlist editor, so the same song can have different behaviors depending on the setlist you’ve loaded.

This works in multi-file projects as well as in single-file projects. Could you give it a try and let me know if it works for your use case?

1 Like

If I can set song specific tags in the JSON file, it will solve my issue. I just can’t find any documentation to tell me the spec to do so, and I don’t want to break anything.
Here’s an example of 2 songs in a set file.
I see that it’s a total list of songs in the folder with the “skipped” tag omitting songs not in the set.
I don’t know what the “time” tag does, because it’s always a value of zero.
I understand the “order” tag.
So what is the syntax for auto-play true/false or 0/1?

{ “id”: “8554cf64-c829-4cef-a9f1-fe64373b8c44”, “filePath”: “_PAUSE_09/_PAUSE_09.als”, “lastKnownHash”: “ad52619437e19b633810fe64676b563d”, “skipped”: true, “time”: 0, “order”: 6 },

{ “id”: “131a4a2b-654d-4ec3-a499-13bbca55d2f8”, “filePath”: “Whatever It Is/Whatever It Is.als”, “lastKnownHash”: “781a01167f2bf8dfbff49634171bf7b9”, “time”: 0, “order”: 7 },

Also, what is the risk of reusing an “all songs” json file with the same id/guid values?

Hey @Maverick,

Here’s a snippet of a song where playback should stop when the playhead reaches the SONG END locator:

{
  "id": "3b9558d4-6b09-48aa-99a6-8972bd30996a",
  "filePath": "Songs/Crossings.als",
  "lastKnownHash": "769bf5a758bf65f8a6ec8a3790e0c163",
  "time": 0,
  "skipped": false,
  "order": 0,
  "stop": true
}

The "stop": true part is the important value here. If you omit it or set it to false, AbleSet will automatically start playing the next song in the setlist upon reaching the current song’s SONG END marker.

You can do this without any risk. You can also omit the id, time, and lastKnownHash keys. These are just used as a safeguard in case you’ve renamed your project files between saving and loading a setlist. The order key can also be omitted without breaking imports. AbleSet will use the order of songs in your JSON file in that case.

I hope this helps!

1 Like

We’re getting close in concept, but when I try the following edited JSON, I get an error for each line in the file saying “No Song Found For [line value]”.

[
{
“filePath”: “Chattahoochee/Chattahoochee.als”,
“skipped”: false,
“stop”: false,
“order”: 0
},
{
“filePath”: “That Ain’t My Truck/That Ain’t My Truck.als”,
“order”: 1
},
{
“filePath”: “Liza Jane/Liza Jane.als”,
“order”: 2
},
{
“filePath”: “Little Sister/Little Sister.als”,
“order”: 3
},
{
“filePath”: “Heard It In A Love Song/Heard It In A Love Song.als”,
“order”: 4
},
{
“filePath”: “Neon Moon/Neon Moon.als”,
“order”: 5
},
{
“filePath”: “Family Tradition/Family Tradition.als”,
“order”: 6
},
{
“filePath”: “Fireman/Fireman.als”,
“order”: 7
},
{
“filePath”: “If The World Had A Front Porch/If The World Had A Front Porch.als”,
“order”: 8
},
{
“filePath”: “Whatever It Is/Whatever It Is.als”,
“order”: 9
}
]

In the meantime, I went ahead and renamed all of my STOP locators to SONG END. Then I tested using the “stop”: false, in an existing JSON file.

In settings, I have AUTOPLAY set to TRUE. It doesn’t matter if my locators are named STOP or SONG END, either way, the next song starts right away, even with the “stop”: true in the JSON file. The only difference was that it did add a little space in the setlist visually, but no different behavior.

All of these settings (in playback) are set to true:
Autoplay
Auto-Jump to the Next Song
Auto-Loop the Current Section
Always Stop at the End of Songs
Stop by Default Instead of Pausing

Hey @Maverick,

It seems that your JSON file isn’t formatted properly, so AbleSet tries to parse the file as a plain text setlist.

My first hunch is that it has to do with the quotes you’re using, at least based on what you posted. Could you try replacing all quotes with " quotes and check if that helps?

Regarding the other issue, I recently implemented a fix for this which is available in the latest beta version. Could you give it a try and check if it makes a difference?

I’m looking forward to your reply!

I also noticed the quotes, but they are correct in the file. It seems that when I post them on this site, they get converted.
I would love to try the text file method. Where is the documentation for that?

I can try the 2.7.0 Beta 2 after Saturday to see if if it corrects the SONG END issue.

Thanks!

Hmm, that’s weird then. Could you send me the setlist JSON file you’re experiencing this issue with so I can take a closer look at what might be wrong with it?

You can also send me a log package including the project files so I can try to reproduce the issue on my end. You can create one by opening AbleSet’s status window, clicking the settings icon on the top right, and then selecting “Create Log Package”.

If the files are too large to DM or email, you can upload them to my support inbox instead.

Regarding plaintext setlists, here’s a short video explaining the feature: https://youtu.be/Q3sEvshi2Y8?t=341

Files uploaded to support inbox.

I watched the video on importing a text file setlist, but it doesn’t appear to support the stop=true option for the songs…

Installed 2.7.0 Beta 2 to troubleshoot the SOND END issue.
No change there.
I’ve attached a screenshot just to make sure there’s nothing wrong on the Ableton Live side.
SONG END STILL NOT WORKING WITH 2.7.0 Beta 2

Hey @Maverick,

Thank you for the files! I managed to reproduce the issues on my end and just implemented a fix for them. I’ll release it as part of the next beta version, likely later today.

Thanks! Looking forward to it!
Just to be clear, this fix will be for importing edited JSON, correct?

So, what do I need to do to help with the issue of stopping on the SONG END Locator?

2.7.0 Beta 2 has some kind of issue with showing locators that aren’t in the song.
Perhaps cached from a previous song or something? But maybe not, since I closed both Ableton Live and AbleSet, opened them both again, and ran the song, and it was still displaying the wrong locators, such as >BRIDGE or >CHORUS.

Any luck with the next beta version you mentioned 9 days ago?

Hey @Maverick,

could you try beta 4 to see if it fixes the issues with multi-file projects you’re experiencing?

If it doesn’t, could you send me another log package along with a video of the behavior so I can take a closer look?

Install over the top of the current version, or uninstall and do a clean install?

You can install it over the current version.

Finally got some time to test after fighting Ableton Live for the last month to prove a severe bug in their software, only for them to finally acknowledge it and dismiss it as a low priority.

Ableset Beta 2 and 4 seems to each introduce new bugs, making it difficult to keep up with.

• Importing the test setlist seems to work without acknowledging any error, but it didn’t load in the correct order (see screenshot). Perhaps an issue with punctuation in the song/project title?

• Still not honoring stop: true, so auto-play is still atomic (all or none)

• Still not displaying Locator titles or correct Locator titles when no img clip is present, like it does in the last full release.

A new problem I first noticed in Beta 2.7.0-4, is that seemingly randomly, when a song loads, instead of displaying the image from the current song position of 1.1.1, it displays the END of the song / Next Song.
I uninstalled 2.7.0-4 and reinstalled 2.6.6 so I can keep working with a stable release, but the problem is now persisting in 2.6.6.
As soon as I play the song, it gets in sync with what should be displayed.
The problem is, not only is the behavior incorrect, but I count on the first image clip with some info to get ready for the song and announce the song, but now I don’t know what song it is…

Hey @Maverick,

Thank you for your feedback!

I’m currently trying to reproduce the issues you described.

I’ve tried to import your test.json file and noticed that the apostrophe you used in the filePath for your 2nd song doesn’t match the name of your project ( vs '). However, when I import it on my end, it just doesn’t include the song as it can’t find the file.

I did find an issue with importing self-made setlists where songs that weren’t included in the JSON file weren’t properly removed from the setlist after saving it. I’ll publish a fix for this with the next beta version soon.

This is something I haven’t been able to reproduce either with the latest beta, unfortunately. If this happens regularly, could you send me a video of the behavior along with another log package so I can inspect it more closely?

Could you elaborate on this issue? I wonder if this is caused by the same underlying issue as your previous point.

Is this behavior consistent in different browsers or does this just happen in AbleSet’s own floating window? Does the playhead actually jump to the end of the song, and does the setlist view show the song as almost finished or is it just the lyrics view? If you like, could you also send me a video of this behavior?

I’ve also made some adjustments to the lyrics view in AbleSet 2.7.0-beta.5, could you try updating and check if that makes a difference?

Since this has expended to 4 different issues, I’m going to create separate threads for the other 3, and bring this one back to the most important topic, which is the solution to the original topic being stop=true.
Since this is persistent, I will make you a video and send another log package, as you instructed.