I hade a major issue last evening with Ableset. I was trying and using the Beta Versions on my studio computer and as always I copied the Ableton session from my studio computer to my stage laptops (plural because of redundancy).
I used the latest beta11 - it looked very stable to me. But on stage the setlist was completely unresponsive and it seemed, that the songs were not changed (even though Ableton itself showed the changed song).
Then I tried to go back to the release version 3.1.4, everything went smooth, except I couldn’t use any single canvas I built before - seems like canvases are not compatible with versions <3.2.0 once used with a version >=3.2.0.
Is there any chance to have a quick fix for this? Is this behavior known?
Regarding Canvases in older versions: Yes, this is known. A Canvas that has been opened or edited in 3.2 can’t necessarily be opened by older versions as of 3.2 Beta 1.
For the future, I’d recommend two things:
Keep a backup copy of your Canvas files before opening or editing them in a beta, especially on a redundant setup.
Make sure all machines in your rig (studio computer and both stage laptops) run the exact same AbleSet version.
Unresponsive setlist on beta 11
To figure out what happened here, it would help to know a bit more about your stage setup:
Were you controlling AbleSet directly on the laptop running Live, or from a tablet or another device?
How are your devices connected on stage: a network switch, a router, WiFi, or a direct cable?
Are you using AbleNet between the two stage laptops, and were both of them running beta 11 at the time?
Did the issue happen on both laptops or only on one of them?
Have you been able to reproduce it since, either on stage or back in the studio?
The most useful thing would be to try reproducing the issue the same way it happened at the show (same laptop, same project, same way of connecting and controlling AbleSet), and then create a Log Package right after it happens.
You can create a log package by opening AbleSet’s icon tray, clicking the gear icon, and then selecting “Create Log Package”.
Please make sure to include your project files as well (just the .als files, no audio needed).
To send the files, you can upload them to AbleSet’s support inbox.
understood the first issue, I will not go deeper into that one.
For the unresponsive setlist on beta 11:
I was controlling Ableset both directly from my laptop and tablet (4 iPads and one Android tablet). My laptop is connected via LAN to a stage router, the tablets are obviously connected via WLAN. Ablenet was not running. Since I only used one laptop (my MacBook Pro, I have a spare MacBook Air as a backup with me) I can only tell, that the MacBook Pro had the issue,
But I was able to reproduce the issue with my setup just today. The main problem is (and now it gets funny), when I have our mixer connected to Ableton as an input source, the handling of Ableset gets sketchy.
In this video you can see, that the handling is fine whilst not having an audio source active as an input. But once you activate our mixer as the active input source, the reliable handling of Ableset is gone.
I also just submitted a pack of logs - I hope that helps.
I really hope and wish, that you could release a beta12 version until Saturday, as I would really hope, that I don’t have to rebuild every single canvas we are using
If you’d like me to take a quick look at your Log Package in the meantime, upload it to Google Drive and send me the link via DM. Please don’t post the link here in the thread.
Regarding the Canvases: since this comes down to how Canvases are versioned in 3.2, I can’t promise a new beta that changes this by Saturday.
Do you have a copy of your project, or of its Canvases folder, from before you opened it with the beta? If so, those Canvases should still open in 3.1.4, so you wouldn’t need to rebuild them from scratch.
I’m also having an issue with Beta 11. I installed it yesterday and now my markers are not working correcting. It is stoping at every marker but I don’t have always stop turned on no are there any stop markers or periods before the marker name. There are a couple of songs that go straigt into the next song but it keeps stoping. I’ve tried everything I can think of to change in the settings and nothing is working. I have this show this weekend and really need to this work. Do I need to go back down to an older version?
Sorry to hear that this is happening! A few questions to narrow it down:
Which version of AbleSet were you running before you updated to Beta 11?
Are you managing what happens at the end of each song from the setlist editor?
If you enter edit mode and open the three dots menu next to a song, you’ll find the Stop After Song toggle, along with the option that sets whether the playhead stays at the end of the song or jumps to the next one. Could you check whether that’s enabled on the songs that should go straight into the next one?
How are you marking the end of each song in Live? The best practice is to place a locator named SONG END where each song ends. When AbleSet reaches it, it jumps straight to the next song and keeps playing, and any stops you need can then be added from the setlist editor.
If that doesn’t solve it, feel free to send me a Log Packagein the meantime so I can take a look as soon as possible. You can create one by opening AbleSet’s icon tray, clicking the gear icon, and then selecting “Create Log Package”. Please make sure to include your project files as well (just the .als files, no audio needed).
For security and privacy reasons, please don’t post the files or the link in this thread. Instead, upload them to Google Drive or WeTransfer and send me the link via DM.
I fixed it. in my ableton midi setting there was a few things in the
dropdowns beside just ableset and once I got rid of those things it worked
just fine. Thanks so much for the quick response!