OSC Track for Sending Outbound Messages

A while back, I modified an existing MaxForLive device to send OSC messages out of Ableton Live, with the OSC address being the name of the clip. I wondered if AbleSet could be used for the same purpose?

For example, any number of tracks tagged with +OSC that would “read” the name of clips and send that message out to an OSC server. There would have to be a way to input the port number and IP address (preferably multiple destinations for different tracks).

This would allow for creative automation of OSC responding hardware and software natively through AbleSet. Possibly even an additional way to automate AbleSet itself on the localhost?

This feature is now available in AbleSet 2.7.0-beta.5. I’d love to hear what you think!

1 Like

Oh man! I can’t wait to give it a try. Out of town until next week but I will love to report back. Thanks for keeping a bead on this feature.

1 Like

Leo! Next level stuff. Ever since I discovered Ableset I have dreamed of timeline synced outbound OSC. This is a fantastic implementation! Every time you come through with something like this I can eliminate a layer of complexity from my setup, which makes me very happy!

Thank you so much for this brilliant tool and for continuing to make me fall in love with Ableset all over again! I hope I don’t fall too far down the rabbit hole this week figuring out new and awesome ways to use this :crazy_face:

footnote: I can’t tell you how long I battled with a Max For Live implementation to do what you’ve done so elegantly. It almost drove me mad!

Hey @mrdrennan,

I’m glad to hear that you’re happy with this feature and would love to hear what use cases you come up with! I’m planning to add some examples to the documentation as inspiration for others who might be interested in this feature.

Here’s what I have so far in terms of documentation: Sending Timed OSC Commands with OSC Tracks – AbleSet

1 Like

I know I’m obviously doing something wrong here.
What I was trying to do was display “MBP” on the MacBook, and “iPhone” on the iPhone :smiling_face_with_tear:
I’ve gone through the documentation but I can’t find information on the ports I should set this to.

Hey @agustinvolpe,

For OSC commands to AbleSet, you can omit the host and port entirely. Then, to target a specific device for the notifications, change the “all” parameter to the name or IP of the device. You can change the name of a device on AbleSet’s settings page.

E.g. /notify/big 127.0.0.1 MBP or /notify/big phone iPhone given that you’ve named your iPhone “phone” in AbleSet’s settings.

I hope this helps! Let me know if the documentation can be more specific for this. It’s still fairly rough and a work in progress :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it might help to be a bit more specific for those who aren’t as tech-savvy.
For example, I discovered through trial and error that if a device has spaces in its name, you can target it by typing single dashes instead of spaces. So, ‘Device 2’ would be ‘Device-2’.

Hey @agustinvolpe,

Hmm, that’s interesting. There’s no code that converts spaces to dashes, so I don’t know why this works :thinking:

If you’d like to supply parameters with spaces, you can also wrap them in quotes, e.g. /notify big "Device 2" "Test Message". Does this work for you as well?