Feature Preview: MIDI Mapping

I believe he addressed that in the video; adding this feature to allow for less expensive versions of Ableton to leverage AbleSet midi control.

1 Like

Mrdrennan - he absolutely did. Duh! How did I miss that?? Obviously not paying attention. Thanks! That is great news. I was getting ready to upgrade to Suite just to get that ability.

2 Likes

Play/Stop toggle would be good too!

That’s already implemented, as well as a Play/Pause toggle :slight_smile:

1 Like

Leo,
You first “previewed” this feature exactly 1 month ago. I’m very anxious to try it, and would need to know the “how-to” as far as configuring the midi pedal to control AbleSet actions. Any update as to when the feature may actually be available (Beta?) and when there might be instructions for configuring the midi controller?

It’s already available in the latest betas.

Thanks, Mike. How does one install this Beta?
And instructions for configuring midi pedal??

Configuring your midi hardware is dependent on the manufacturer. However, in the preview video at the top of this thread, Leo demonstrates how to map and learn commands from any midi controller that is connected to your system.

There should be a beta section on the forum. If you are unable to see it, you might want to reach out to Leo directly. I’m not sure if the betas are available to all or just those granted permission.

Hey all,

This feature is already available in the latest version of AbleSet: AbleSet 2.4.0

You should be able to update from within the app, or by downloading the latest version from the AbleSet homepage.

You can configure the MIDI mapping by clicking on “Edit MIDI Mapping” on AbleSet‘s settings page.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Leo,
I’m on 2.4.1, and I found the “Edit MIDI Mapping” option. However, it brings up “LoopBe Internal MIDI”, and sits on a message “Waiting for MIDI Input…”
Is the Windows Internal MIDI going to be a problem?
Thanks.

I don’t think that should be a problem. If AbleSet doesn’t list any other connected MIDI devices, could you send me a log package so I can inspect this?

If it does show other connected MIDI devices, you can click on “Add New Mapping” and then press the button you’d like to map to a function in AbleSet. “Waiting for MIDI Input…” means that AbleSet is waiting for you to press a button on the MIDI device.

I hope this helps!

@leolabs
This feature looks great. Could I use Custom OSC also to control external hardware such as RME Fireface or Behringer X32?
It would require maybe different port configuration as RME is usually using 9001 as input if I am not wrong.
For full flexibilty, the host and port could be configured for every OSC command? Or Devices could be configured in OSC setup and referred for each command…
I would like to use the OSC mapping to automatically start USB Recording (RME: Durec) on my interface at song start and stop it at song end. In live Situation I always forget the records and my band mates hate me for that :rofl:
Within Ableton it may be possible also with Connection Kit using OSC Send but again, using Multifile project and maintain it is a mess.
I also face the issue in Ableton that TouchOSC device needs to be relearned after startup of live set, so I don’t trust the connection kit devices.

This is currently not possible, but it shouldn’t be too hard to implement. I could imagine a syntax like <IP>:<port>/osc/command parameters, so you can string multiple commands to multiple destinations together for one MIDI input. For example, to trigger a recording on your RME interface and start playback in AbleSet: 192.168.1.50:9001/3/recordRecordStart; /global/play

Does that sound good to you?

Defining OSC servers outside of those commands sounds like a good idea as well, though it might take a bit more time to implement that.

This proposal sounds perfekt, easy to understand and to adapt😎. Exactly this command I noted down already^^.
Some enable checkbox might be helpful if you configure a bunch of mappings but want not all to be effective without deletion.

I just released AbleSet 2.5.0-beta.7 which adds support for sending OSC commands to external servers. You can find the docs here: Controlling AbleSet with Your MIDI Controller – AbleSet

AbleSet tries to be as smart as possible with arguments, so you don’t have to manually specify the type of them:

• 123: integer
  • 123.0: float
  • true and false: boolean
  • test or "test": string

Arguments that are wrapped in quotes (", ', or `) are always treated as strings, so "true" won’t be converted to a boolean and "123" won’t be converted to an integer.

Let me know how this works for you. I’m looking forward to your feedback!

Hi Leo,

Yesterday I was able to test it and finally it is working fine for me. I noticed somehow Totalmix requires the stop to be send twice for whatever reason, so I added another line which worked fine. Thanks a lot for this update.

One confusion I have - If I look in the OSC Monitor “Protokol” the Port is displayed differently:

However, in Ableton OSC monitor I can see these messages as well with the defined Port:
Bildschirmfoto 2023-11-25 um 12.17.06

Regards,
Marcus

I’m glad to hear the new OSC feature works well for you!

The port you see in Protokol is the one AbleSet uses to send the OSC message, which is different from the port to which the message is sent.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Hey guys! I’m new to OSC, and I didn’t want to start a new thread provided I got a similar question.
I would like to start recording in ableton when i start any given song on my setlist.
Can this be achieved with AbleSet sending a custom OSC message?
Or do I need a separate app (touch OSC maybe?) for that?
For starters, I’d like to be able to achieve just that, and ideally I’d like to have the recording start just on one of the two-computer redundant setup😅

Hey @agustinvolpe,

You can do this within AbleSet by using the AbletonOSC plugin. I’ve demonstrated your exact use case here:

AbletonOSC allows you to control almost any aspect of Live using OSC – they have a large list of commands that you can find here.

Let me know if this helps :slight_smile:

Oh I didn’t see that one😬
Will try this asap.
Thanks Leo!