What does the AS Plugin do, what does it look like?

Hello
I have gone to the DOCumentation, and searched on “Plugin”, but got nothing. I searched on “status window” and didn’t find anything. Curious,
how do I know the plugin is working?
do I need to launch it?
What does it do? is the “status window” part of it?
I see the “Remote Script” has been added to my User Library, and it enabled it in the Ableton Preferences MIDI settings. Please tell me more …or point me to more documentation.

thanks, all the best
nw

Hey @nevillewhitemusic,

The AbleSet Remote Script is responsible for receiving commands from AbleSet and forwarding them to Live. You’ll know that the plugin is working when AbleSet is able to connect to Live :slight_smile:

Ok. Simple. Terrific.

Hey, as a side-note, let me share why I asked the “plugin” question. In AS, under “settings”, it has an option to “Add Ableset Plugin to Ableton”, and this led me assume the AS plugin was an “option” and presented additional functionality.

So, I am trying to learn as much as possible about AS…so I am wondering …when would an Ableton/AS user need to use the setting menu to “Add AS plugin to Ableton” after the initial AS install? Are there times when the remote script needs to be re-installed? I am sure there are scenarios, and it would help me to see the bigger picture. Could I ask for an example?

Thanks again for all the amazing CLEAR SLEEK design and huge functionality of AS!!! It provides THE KEY functionality and ease of use that was STILL STOPPING me (as performing solo musician) from using a laptop w/ Ableton on-stage! Now my plan is to gig with my laptop / AS / Ableton at my next gig in 3 weeks.
Bravo!

2 Likes

This feature isn’t really necessary anymore with the latest versions of Live, but there used to be a bug where updating Live removed 3rd party plugins, so AbleSet’s plugin would have to be reinstalled.

There are still some use cases for this option, for example, if you accidentally remove the plugin folder yourself or you’d like to install the plugin into another User Library.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile: