Stream Deck / Companion Integration

I am looking to control Ableset and get real time feedback for my Ableton session. I figured out how to send OSC commands from Companion to be able to launch different songs. Is there a way to get information back from Ableset to display the name of the songs in our session dynamically. For example every week we have a four song set with alternating songs. Is there a way for companion to populate the song names without me having to program the name in.

Hey @lpproduction, welcome to the community!

Just a few days ago, I published an AbleSet module for Companion. It should be available in the latest Companion beta version.

This module includes presets for buttons that trigger the 1st, 2nd, etc. song or section in the setlist. They automatically populate with the song’s or section’s name and are highlighted when they’re queued or active. Here’s a quick demo of what this looks like:

Let me know if this covers your use case, or if there’s anything I could do to improve the module! :slight_smile:

This is exactly what I was looking for!! Thank-you!

1 Like

The one feature that would help me with programming is the ability to move Ableton’s playhead. I see a variable to see the playhead location within Ableton. Is there a command to be able to move it by x amount of bars

This is not something that AbleSet supports at the moment, but you could use AbletonOSC for this and send a message to their /live/song/jump_by endpoint to jump by a given number of beats.

Awesome! I’ll check that out, that may do exactly what I need it to. Another question I have is would it be possible to have the section buttons change as I play through a song. Like the stream deck I have doesn’t have as many buttons as my songs have sections. Could I program compainion with your app to display the previous two sections and next two sections so I can follow along where I am iin the song and jump back and forth?

Hey, sorry for the late reply!

Currently, it’s not possible to access the 2nd or 3rd next/previous song dynamically with the Companion module, but that’s something I should be able to implement fairly easily. I’ve put it on my to do list!

1 Like

Hey @lpproduction,

I’ve just released an update to the AbleSet Companion module that adds the next and previous four songs along with lots of other new presets. Here’s what it looks like:

Let me know if this works for you, I’m looking forward to your feedback!

This looks like exactly what I need! It looks like it’s currently running on the beta version so I will wait till it’s stable to try it out because we are using this in show critical scenarios.

1 Like

Leo,
Installed this on my new Stream Deck. After I got it working, I also tried running the Stream Deck app software and this messed-up my Ableset program for my Stream Deck. I had to uninstall the stream deck app program in order for the Companion app to work correctly again. I imagine that the stream deck app took control of the stream deck and prevented it from working. After I rebooted my computer, it worked fine.

Also, the “Next section” buttons don’t seem to work right. I know that I have to stop playing to go the next section, but even when I stop the play, it doesn’t jump to the next section with the button from the Stream Deck. It displays the right section name, but the button doesn’t move to next section.

I want to be able to program some other Ableton functions on the Stream Deck at the same time, but not sure how to do this yet.

Otherwise, I love this addition to your software and I will definitely use it.

Gary

You can use Companion as a plugin for the Stream Deck app if you’d like to use it for other Stream Deck features and plugins as well. Here’s a tutorial on how this works:

Could you check to make sure you’re running the latest version of AbleSet? If you are and it still doesn’t work, could you press the “Next Section” buttons a bunch of times and send me a log package via email so I can take a look at what might be going wrong?

If you like, you can also send me a video showing the issue – that often helps with troubleshooting.

I hope this helps!

1 Like