MIDI mappings when updating the M4L device

Hi everyone!
Just wondering how you go about this.
I use a MIDI controller to navigate the setlist in AbleSet, and I’ve encountered a bit of a challenge when it comes to updating the custom Max for Live device. Every time there’s an update, I need to replace the device in my Ableton project, and as you know, Live doesn’t allow mappings to be saved on devices (so to drag and drop across projects).

While it’s a quick fix in projects with multiple songs, it gets a bit tedious in multi-file projects where I have to repeat the process for every single song. I was wondering if anyone here has found a smoother workaround for this?

I understand this is clearly an Ableton limitation when it comes to saving or importing MIDI mappings across projects, but if there’s any possibility of addressing this on AbleSet’s side, that would be amazing :sweat_smile:!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance :raised_hands:

With multi-file projects, I’d recommend using AbleSet’s built-in MIDI mapping feature so you don’t have to repeat any changes you make to your mapping in each project file.

You should be able to update the Max for Live device by replacing the .amxd file your projects reference while Live isn’t running. This should also keep any MIDI mapping intact.

I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh great, I didn’t know about that! Thanks Leo!