Jump By Section Occasionally Overshoots The Section

Every so often, when I am triggering a section with “Jump By Section” engaged and the global quantize set to the default 1 bar, AbleSet will miss the cue by a couple of beats and trigger the next section late. I’m not sure if this is a bug or a limitation.

As a workaround, I am using a radio button set in Open Stage Control to change the global quantization in Ableton while simultaneously changing the Jump Mode in AbleSet. I accomplish this using Clyphx Pro and X-OSC triggers. If the quantize is set to 1/2 or 1/4, Jump By Section seems to trigger accurately every time. However, I prefer to have the Quantized Jump set to 1 bar, so I tie those two together.

CleanShot 2023-08-11 at 20.34.55

This might be a limitation of Live. AbleSet just triggers the marker of the next section a few milliseconds before the current section ends when the jump mode is set to “End of Section”.

If you’re using a 1-bar global quantization, you’d have to make sure that all section markers align with the 1-bar grid. To check this, you could turn on Live’s internal metronome, listen for markers that don’t fall on a downbeat, and correct those.

1 Like

Probably some of the tracks in my bigger sets don’t line up perfectly on beat 1; some songs will shift the downbeat to beat 3 and things like that. Esther then automate time signature changes I just run a custom click track using a drum rack and turn off the internal metronome. That way the click is appropriate no matter where I copy and paste the tracks to.

It makes sense that if I jump to a section where the meter is shifted and then back into a standard 4/4 section that this might happen sometimes. Tying the global quantization settings to the jump modes appears to be the ticket in my case and I thought others might find that beneficial.

1 Like

To be fair, I went through my set and inserted time signature changes where appropriate. A few measures of 3/4 and 2/4 time signatures were causing the “errors” in triggering.

Using a tip from Will Doggett, I’m going to start using special colorized clips on my custom click drum rack so that I can quickly scour a set and insert time signature changes to keep all of the AbleSet sections triggering cleanly at 1 Bar quantize.

1 Like

That sounds like a good idea, I’m glad you found a solution!