Feedback Wanted: Displaying Automatic Jumps in the Setlist

Hey everyone!

I’m currently working on the automatic jump feature to make it easier to see what will happen in the setlist, and I’d like to get your feedback on the design.

Let’s start with a simple example – a song that has one jump from the first verse to the 3rd chorus:

In my current setup, the setlist would look a bit like this:

An arrow indicates that after the first verse, AbleSet will jump to the 3rd chorus, and the skipped sections have a darker background to indicate that they aren’t played. The song duration is also adjusted to exclude the two skipped sections.

I didn’t want to hide the skipped sections entirely as you might still want to jump to them spontaneously while the song is playing.

Now let’s make the song a bit more complex and add another jump:

The setlist would now look like this:

In a more complex scenario, you might also add transitions that jump back to a specific section. For example, you might want to add a reprise intro that leads back into the 2nd chorus:

The setlist would then look like this:

In my eyes, this might look a bit chaotic, especially if you’re performing live, but so far, the only alternative I’ve found so far would be to display the sections that AbleSet will jump to as text:

Let me know what you think. Which variant looks better and easier to understand to you? What would you do differently here?

@RichardB since you’re already working with these kind of transitions in your project, I’d love to get your thoughts on this as well.

I’m looking forward to your feedback!

1 Like

Hey Leo,

At first glance I found the arrows easier to follow…

1 Like

I’m with you on this one.

1 Like

Hey @leolabs , it’s great to see Ableset progressing forward. I agree with the others that arrows could get quite confusing as the arrangement grows more complex.

In my custom plugin, I reached the decision that mapping Transition logic in the setlist view was too convoluted. I just display those buttons in Performance View when its relevant to the active Section.

Without getting too lengthy, I’m using classes to specify transitions.

[from.chorus-1] and [backto.verse-1]

This allows for human friendly text and also gives me a styling framework for CSS. I can elaborate further if anyone is interested.

In full disclosure, I’m using Leo’s ableton-js NPM package to create the custom plugin.

1 Like

I was thinking maybe in addition to this, the section that’s currently being jumped to could blink in yellow/blue/red for further visual indication.

Thank you all for your feedback! I’ll see what I can do to make this feature as easy as possible to use :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello @leolabs Leo,

Looks like I might have stumbled in to a bug. When I set up the automatic jump it is causing my GUIDE track to stop. However the DYNAMIC GUIDE (used for the repeat/loop) works fine. I am on the latest BETA and have also tested on latest stable release. The same results on both. If I remove “>>>TEXT” from the section it works as it should. Can you see something I am missing or is this a bug?

Hey @clarocque,

This is expected behavior. Since the guide track usually announces the next section’s name, AbleSet mutes it when the upcoming section isn’t the next in the timeline.

This happens when you cue a different section or when the current section transitions to a different one as yours does.

To work around this, I’d create an additional audio track that contains all cues that should be audible in any scenario. Would that work for you?

@leolabs yes that would work, in fact that is what we did to get around this. OK so no bug and that makes sense. The workaround will be fine. Thanks

1 Like