Ableset's Best Practices đź“ť

I was thinking we could all add to a list of best practices within AbleSet.
There’s many ways we can go about building our setlists on the app, and maybe we could build a community guide on the best ways to approach the programming of our sets, with @leolabs blessing.
For instance, we can use MIDI clips to define sections, but maybe AbleSet gets along better with locators instead (I’m not saying this is true, just as an example), or maybe it’s better to toggle on option to “always stop at the end of songs” on the webapp’s settings page, instead of having a locator name like “.SongTitle”, and so on, so to get the best out of it.
What do you think?
I’ll start with a no brainer:
In my case, whenever I create a set, I insert a time signature change on the start of each song (no matter weather an actual time signature change is actually needed or not, but to be sure that the song starts on beat 1).

2 Likes

Hey @agustinvolpe, that’s a great idea!

Here’s one that isn’t directly tied to AbleSet but still useful for playback setups:

If you’re using a redundant audio interface like the PlayAUDIO12 or PlayAUDIO1U, put LifeSine on a return track instead of a normal track, then right-click any solo button and check that “Solo in Place” is enabled.

This will allow you to solo any track in your set without the sine tone being muted which would make the audio interface switch to your backup computer.

3 Likes

One thing I like to do is have a folder in Live’s browser called “Songs, Sections etc”, where I keep pre-named MIDI clips (.alc files: “Intro +LOOP”, “Verse”, or whatever you may need) that I can easily drag and drop to the timeline.
Believe me this will save you a ton of time.
I even have a Quick Play section folder nested in there, where I keep the same clips with “>>” prepended.

2 Likes

That’s an awesome idea, thanks for sharing! :heart:

What about a tips & tricks section?

1 Like

Let’s see how much demand there would be for that first, but I’ll keep your idea in mind :slight_smile:

1 Like