Ableset Controller M4L Question

Looking for some advice on better understanding/best practice that I have been a little confused about.

I primarily use an Oakboard Slide Duo to control playback via Abletset. I first started using Ableset around December of last year and initially while becoming familiar with the workflow, I had MIDI mapped everything from the settings menu inside of Ableset.

However, I have not been able to figure out then how to utilize the sliders on the Oakboard to control other parameters of things, such as the filter frequency on a given track, or map one of the other buttons to something native to Ableton.

My understanding, which I am not so sure is accurate, is to use the Ableset M4L Devices to to control Play, Stop, Prev & Next Sections, and Loop Toggle. Playing in a church setting makes the loop toggle (and end of section) the most vital feature. However, the M4L Controller only separate buttons for Loop On and Loop Off but I need it to be one button. In this instance and I have been mapping the loop toggle the native button in Ableton and then using the sliders to map to other native controls. This works fine in my testing but I have not tried it on stage.

I may be in my own head about it, but is this the proper way to go about doing this?
I’m also unsure of the difference between the AbleSet Controller.amxd and the AbleSet OSC.amxd.

DISCLAIMER: I am very unfamiliar with OSC, so learning that is the answer to all of these questions, please let me know.

Hey @calebstephen,

That’s a good topic to ask about!

I’d say your setup of mapping your Slide Duo to the AbleSet Controller Max for Live device and then mapping another button to the loop toggle of Live is a valid solution.

If you’re running your playback setup on macOS, you could also use both AbleSet’s native MIDI mapping feature for your controller’s buttons and Live’s mapping features for the sliders.

With Windows, unfortunately, only one app can access a given MIDI input at a time, so this hybrid setup wouldn’t work.

The AbleSet OSC device is just an older version of the AbleSet Controller. I’d recommend opening AbleSet’s status window, clicking the settings icon on the top right, then selecting “Get AbleSet Controller”. You can then drag the AbleSet Controller.amxd file you see directly into your Live project.

This file is automatically updated together with AbleSet so you’ll always use the latest version.

I hope this helps!

Thanks Leo!

Yes, that’s very helpful!

I am on Mac OS and very early on I had tried to route through both the native AbleSet mappings and the native Ableton mappings but I could not get it to work at the time. However, that was 9ish months ago when I had just downloaded AbleSet and wasn’t really familiar with it. So it’s good to know it’s possible and I may dive in and see about getting that set up.

1 Like