AbleSet and Dante - network

Hi,

I’m touring with my band triggering tracks from my MacBook Pro M1 Max. I’ve had some issues connecting using local network and would like to try a wired one with dongles connecting my iPad to my MacBook.
But, we’re also sending the tracks via Dante out of my Mac. Will that be an issue or is there a way to deal with this?

Thank you!

Hey @Kristoffer_Lo, welcome to the AbleSet community!

I’m currently working with a very similar setup to what you describe, where we run AbleSet and Dante over the same wired network and I haven’t had any issues with this so far, even with latencies set as low as 1ms using RME’s DigiFace. AbleSet doesn’t use a lot of bandwidth so it shouldn’t cause any issues with Dante.

If you want to be on the safe side, you could use a separate Ethernet dongle on your MacBook to create a dedicated network for AbleSet so your Dante network doesn’t have to deal with any traffic caused by AbleSet.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any further questions!

1 Like

We run the same setup and we have one dongle running a separate network and one running Dante. Have not had any issues with it.

1 Like

Hi @leolabs and @iamderkis
Thanks for the feedback - highly appreciated!
I do have some issues with getting a network up and running. I have connected my iPad to my MacBook (M1 Max) using two dongles (USB-C to Ethernet → Ethernet to Lightning). I have set up the Ethernet Network with IP address 192.168.0.1, turned off WiFi on both devices and the “Ethernet” menu appears on the iPad’s settings.
When I open AbleSet in my browser on the Mac, all is good. But when I try open http://Kristoffers-MacBook-Pro.local on my iPad, nothing happens.
If I turn on WiFi and connect using a hotspot, the page appears immediately. But I don’t want WiFi to be enabled.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks again!

Hey @Kristoffer_Lo,

could you send me a screenshot of your Ethernet settings on both your iPad and your MacBook? It’s likely just a simple configuration issue :slight_smile:

Hi @leolabs
Thanks for getting back!
Here’s how my menus on my iPad and MacBook looks like:

Hey @Kristoffer_Lo,

Could you try changing the “Configure IPv4” option to “Manually” and enter the same subnet mask you have on your iPad (255.255.255.0)? That might solve the problem.

You could also try disabling the “Limit IP Address Tracking” option, though I don’t think it will make a difference.

Let me know if this helps!